Reduce Car Accident Risks In Bradenton Post Hurricane Ian
Hurricane Ian battered the Treasure Coast, causing billions of dollars in damages. As our community rallies to clean up debris and make needed repairs, it is important to continue to use caution. Car accidents in Bradenton in the aftermath of the storm are a major problem. Our Bradenton car accident lawyer offers tips on how to reduce the risks.
Hurricane Ian Cleanup Continues In Manatee County
When Hurricane Ian made landfall in Southwestern Florida as a fierce Category 4 storm, it wrecked widespread havoc throughout the area. Many local residents have only recently returned, some to find homes that were heavily damaged or even completely destroyed. An October 7, 2022 Bradenton Herald news report urges caution amidst clean up efforts.
Residents are instructed to pile debris on sidewalks where possible and to be patient with city workers as they struggle to keep up with removal efforts. They encourage making separate piles for yard waste, fencing or other building supplies, and items such as broken and waterlogged appliances. Meanwhile, road and utility workers are working overtime to get power restored and to keep roads clear.
During this difficult time, it is vitally important to use extreme caution when traveling on local streets. As Hurricane Ian cleanup recovery efforts continue, follow these tips to keep yourself safe:
- Try to avoid any unnecessary trips;
- Unless you live in the neighborhood or are checking on family and friends, avoid driving around impacted areas;
- Remain alert at all times behind the wheel and keep an eye out for random debris;
- Watch out for washed-out roads and areas still struggling with flooding.
Road Safety Tips In The Aftermath Of A Storm
While much of Bradenton is beginning to dry off in the aftermath of heavy rains and flooding due to Hurricane Ian, there are still patches of wet roads. Residents need to use caution, as these can pose major risks. According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), rainy conditions and accumulated moisture are contributing factors in more than half of all car accidents that happen each year.
To protect yourself, your passengers, and others on the road, our Bradenton car accident lawyer advises following these tips:
- Go slow and allow plenty of time to reach your destination.
- Use extreme caution at intersections, where many traffic signals remain out.
- Pay close attention to traffic signs and keep off closed roads or blocked areas.
- Keep both hands on the wheel while driving and be alert for random debris.
- Be aware of how fatigue can impact your own and others driving abilities.
- Avoid aggressive driving or other dangerous behaviors.
Reach Out To Our Bradenton Car Accident Lawyer
At the Law Office of Steven G. Lavely, we are here to help in whatever way we can in the difficult aftermath of Hurricane Ian. If you or someone you love is injured, reach out to our Bradenton car accident lawyer for help. To request a consultation, give us a call or contact our office online today.