Helping Families Recover After Fatal Car Accidents
The death of a loved one is always difficult to deal with. When it occurs needlessly and due to the reckless actions of others, it can be particularly hard to cope with. Unfortunately, fatal car accidents are common throughout Bradenton, leaving numerous family and friends grieving.
No amount of money could ever replace the person you lost, but filing a claim against those responsible can provide a sense of closure while helping you recover.
Contributing Cause In Fatal Car Accidents
Driving is a complex skill. One simple error or a lack of proper respect and attention to this task can result in potentially devastating car accidents. Even a minor crash or collision can end up causing injuries that have the potential to be life threatening.
According to Florida’s Integrated Report Exchange System (FIRES), more than 70 people are killed each year in fatal car accidents. Among the most common types of collisions include rollovers, rear impact, side impact, and head on crashes. Sadly, reckless driving behaviors on the part of others are often too blame. These include:
- Speeding and going too fast for road, traffic, or weather conditions;
- Disregarding traffic signs and signals;
- Distracted driving, such as using cell phones or texting;
- Aggressive driving, such as tailgating, improper passing, and failure to yield;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medications.
Speed in particular is responsible for a majority of roadway accidents in Florida. The faster a car is going at the time of impact, the more likely life threatening injuries will result.
When a Loved One Is Killed in a Car Accident
For the families of people killed in motor vehicle collisions and crashes, the impacts are often devastating. In addition to the loss of your loved one, there are likely financial hurdles you will have to face. In these situations, a wrongful death claim can help ease the burden as you grieve your loved one’s loss.
Under the Florida Statutes, a wrongful death claim can be filed against those whose reckless and negligent actions caused a crash to occur. Compensation your family may be entitled to includes:
- Medical expenses and hospital bills that resulted from the car accident;
- Funeral expenses and burial costs;
- Lost wages you and others suffered as a result of the accident;
- Future losses in earnings that your loved one would have provided;
- Compensation for the pain, suffering, and loss of companionship caused by your loved one’s death;
- Punitive damages, meant to punish at fault parties for behaviors that were particularly willful and negligent.
Contact Us Today for Help
During this difficult time for your family, the Law Office of Steven G. Lavely provides the compassionate care you need and acts as a strong legal advocate on your behalf. As one of only a small percentage of board certified civil trial lawyers in our area, we are uniquely qualified to help you get the justice your loved one deserves. Contact our Bradenton car accident lawyer today and request a consultation.