Drowsy Driving Car Accidents In Bradenton: Evidence We Use To Get You Compensation
With it getting dark earlier and time changes just around the corner, your sleep schedule could suffer. Unfortunately, getting less than eight hours of sleep at night increases the risk of car accidents in Bradenton. Our Bradenton car accident lawyer explains more about the effects of drowsy driving and evidence we can use to get you compensation.
How Drowsy Driving Increases Bradenton Car Accident Risks
Drowsy driving is a leading cause of car accidents in Bradenton, and the risks tend to increase in the fall. As a result, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) designated the first week of September each year to raise distracted driving awareness.
The goal is to educate the general public as to how even an hour or two of missed sleep impacts driving abilities. Unfortunately, the risks increase throughout the fall, particularly as we approach the time change. Ways in which being tired can cause car accidents in Bradenton to happen:
- Slower reflexes, impacting your ability to respond appropriately to emergency situations and sudden changes in traffic;
- Impaired vision, resulting in double vision and increased glare;
- Lack of coordination, making it more difficult to apply the brakes, turn the steering wheel, and perform other driving tasks;
- Nodding off, in which closing your eyes for even a few seconds endangers everyone on the road.
Drowsy driving car accidents are more likely to occur late at night and in the early morning hours. Those most at risk include swing shift workers, students studying for exams, new parents, and anyone with an active social life, causing them to miss sleep.
Protecting Your Rights In A Bradenton Drowsy Driving Car Accident Claim
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) warns that drowsy driving car accidents claim the lives of close to 700 people each year while causing potentially severe personal injuries for thousands of others. If you are involved in a car accident in Bradenton and suspect drowsy driving is to blame, report it immediately to the police, get contact information for the driver and any witnesses at the scene, and seek medical attention for your injuries, regardless of severity.
Unfortunately, proving drowsy driving is challenging, as there are no tests to indicate it. However, evidence our Bradenton car accident lawyer can use in your claim includes:
- The other drivers’ work or school schedules, showing little time for sleep;
- Cell phone and app data or social media posts showing they were up for extended periods;
- Medical records indicating they suffered from sleep disorders or were taking medications known to cause drowsiness;
- Evidence from the scene, such as skid marks indicating a lack of response or other signs that they were excessively tired or fell asleep.
Request A Consultation With Our Bradenton Car Accident Lawyer
At the Law Office of Steven G. Lavely, we help victims of drowsy driving car accidents get the compensation they are entitled to in a claim. To request a consultation with our experienced Bradenton car accident lawyer, call or contact us online today.