Investigating Hit And Run Accidents In Bradenton
Motor vehicle accidents in Bradenton pose a serious threat to drivers, passengers, bicyclists, and pedestrians. When the reckless actions of others leave you suffering serious personal injuries, you have the right to hold them accountable. Unfortunately, to avoid responsibility, the driver may attempt to leave the scene. Our Bradenton car accident lawyer shares the steps we take in investigating these cases and holding those at fault accountable.
Fatal Hit And Run Accident In Bradenton: What Causes Motorists To Flee The Scene
A recent hit-and-run accident in Bradenton tragically claimed the life of a local resident. According to an April 1, 2023 Action News report, it happened just after 6:30 a.m. on 14th Street West near 21st Ave. W. The Bradenton Police Department Traffic Unit (BPD) is still investigating the case and asks anyone who witnessed or knows anything about the accident to come forward.
Unfortunately, these types of crashes are common in our area. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, roughly 25 percent of all motor vehicle accidents in the state involve a hit-and-run driver. What makes a motorist behave in such a callous manner and flee the scene? Often, one of the following factors is involved:
- The driver does not have a valid license or vehicle registration;
- They are under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time;
- They are engaged in other illegal behavior or are wanted by the police;
- They have issues concerning their immigration status.
Sometimes, a driver simply panics. In these cases, they often come forward willingly at some point. When any of the other above factors are involved, though, it often requires intensive investigations to identify the driver and hold them accountable.
How We Investigate Hit-and-Run Accident Claims
Under the Florida Statutes, all drivers are legally required to stop at the scene of any accident resulting in personal injuries and property damages. Failing to do so deprives victims of the opportunity to get compensation for their losses. It also causes delays in getting people injured the medical care they need, increasing the likelihood of fatal injuries.
If you or someone you love is involved in a hit-and-run accident in Manatee County, get legal help right away. Steps our Bradenton car accident lawyer can take in investigating these claims include:
- Work with local police in soliciting tips from the general public;
- Revisit the accident scene to gather additional information;
- Obtain surveillance footage from nearby traffic lights or businesses, which can help to identify the vehicle;
- Canvas the area and interview neighbors and other potential witnesses, who may be able to identify the driver;
- Speak to local mechanics, who the hit-and-run driver may have gone to for repairs.
Contact Our Bradenton Car Accident Lawyer Today
As an experienced Bradenton car accident lawyer, Steven G. Lavely fights for the rights of hit-and-run victims and helps you hold those at fault accountable in a claim. To get the compensation you are entitled to, call or contact our office online and request a consultation today.